Discover the legendary history of Basarabov, Veliko Tarnavo and Arbanasi, three of northern Bulgaria's most picturesque places to visit. Don't miss the opportunity to see this fascinating area of the world from Bucharest!
Having been picked up from your hotel in Bucharest first thing in the morning, you'll head through rolling hills and across the Danube towards northern Bulgaria. Your first stop will be Basarabov monastery, an active cave monastery, the only one of its kind in modern Bulgarian history. Hear all about the history of this unique religious monument as you admire the ancient cliff-face architecture inside and out.
Next, travel back in time to Veliko Tarnovo. This city was the Medieval capital of Bulgaria and one of the main European centres of culture in the Middle Ages. As you admire the magnificent architecture of the city's historic centre, your guide will entertain you with tales from its fascinating past.
Delve deeper into history visiting Tsaravets Fortress, the medieval stronghold that was once home to the Bulgarian royals. The fortress is steeped in history: as well as exploring the remains of the ancient walls and the palace chambers, you can see important religious buildings like the Ascension Cathedral and admire the panoramic views overlooking Veliko Tarnavo. With new-found knowledge of Bulgarian history, you'll have an hour of free time to have lunch in Veliko Tarnavo (not included).
You'll then head to the nearby village of Arbanasi, the home to a number of different Bulgarian Orthodox monasteries and churches that house excellent examples of religious art work as well as boasting fantastic views over the surrounding countryside.
After an excellent day full of historic architecture and beautiful scenery, you'll return to Bucharest.
- This day trip includes pick up and drop off at the main hotels and hostels in downtown Bucharest. If your accommodation is not located in this area, a central meeting point will be arranged. The pick up time may be different from the tour start time.
- It is mandatory to bring your passport on this tour.
- Children under 4 years old are not permitted on this tour.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
English language guided tour
Seniors over 65 years oldUS$ 90.70
Students between 8 and 25 years oldUS$ 90.70
Children between 4 and 7 years oldUS$ 52.30
The tour is exclusively in English.
Pick up and drop off at hotel.
Round trip transport.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to Basarbovo Monastery and Tsarevets fortress (approx. 5 EUR).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).